In years past, I’ve made an effort to make one last post each December that recounts some of the achievements, discoveries, and challenges of the year before. This usually comes out as a long post that is filled with bullets that I doubt anyone cares to read, so this year, I’ll be writing a shorter one that really gets to the point.
So, what happened in 2012?
- I started RPing on tumblr in the Fullmetal Alchemist fandom, which meant that I made some absolutely amazing friends and improved my writing of fiction immensely. I’ll admit that starting to RP seemed like a giant waste of time. Sure, I was having fun, but I kept wondering what else I could be doing. I grew worried that I had gotten into something unhealthy, but it ended up working out. I took breaks when I needed them, went on hiatuses but kept up social contact with the friends that I had made. I sent baked goods and Christmas cards to the friends that I had made, added them on Facebook, spent hours on Skype laughing and crying with them. I can’t regret any moment of time, as it was never time wasted.
- I had my first boy-friend, and I broke up with my first boy-friend. It wasn’t working out. We’re still friends.
- I came out as being somewhere on the asexual spectrum. There are days when I don’t know if it’s asexuality or greysexuality or demisexuality, when I look at something and just think it’s whatthefuckIdon’tevenknow-sexuality. It’s strange, and even after a year of thinking about it, I don’t know exactly where I am.
- Life moved on after Grandma’s death, as it does after any death. We miss her, of course. But I promised her that I’d keep living and thriving and loving.
- I got really sick in March until June with mono. The mono brought out full symptoms of POTS, which is a secondary illness branching off from having EDS. I never fully recovered, and I don’t expect to. Instead, I’ve been learning how to adapt to the life that I now lead. This has led to many things: diet changes, decisions about delaying grad school for a year, taking life slower, working less over the summer, and knowing my limits so that I don’t push them.
- I’ve been finishing off the last courses of my psychology major and printmaking minor. I’m going to miss them terribly–especially art and all of the friends that I’ve made through the art department.
- I got to see Chris Thile in concert with the Punch Brothers, and I gave him a hug after the concert. This was a legitimate bullet point on my bucket list that I could cross off. Do remember that I’ve been obsessed with this guy’s music since he was in Nickel Creek and I first heard their music TWELVE YEARS AGO.
- I went to Florida over the summer and visited with my dad, brother, both sisters, and their families. It was a pretty good time, and I wish that I could see them more often.
- Last, and most importantly, I met Alexander this year. Words cannot fully describe what this means, and I won’t try too terribly to explain them, either. Just know that I’ve never loved someone so much in my life and that this is a seriously big deal. I expect him to be in my life for a very long time, and I’m his as long as he’s mine.
So there you have it: a year in review. This is about as short as I can make it, but I think that it covers some highlights. Enjoy; though this list is really more for me than anyone else. All of my writing is, really.