Oh, the might of this past year. I figure that I’ll share some of it with you.
- Graduated from my high school with a 3.98 GPA.
- Became the first member of my mum’s family to go straight from high school into university.
- Got my first car.
- And I had my first break-down two days later.
- Filmed two zombie movies with my friends.
- Became a vegetarian.
- Lost some friends.
- And gained many more.
- Was somehow crowned as Prom Queen.
- Attended a Star Wars themed wedding.
- Made it through my last high school play of Alice in Wonderland.
- Learned the value of a good teacher and professor.
- Decided that I’ll move to New York and own a crappy apartment with a friend after graduation from university.
- Finally started reading Lord of the Rings.
- Started painting a series of landscapes.
- Learned new sewing techniques and became the seamstress of my friends.
- Continued new traditions with the fourth annual trip to Elephant Rocks and the third annual Gingerbread House Fest.
- Turned 18 and became a legit adult.
- Developed a fond appreciation of hot tea.
- Managed to host a full Tri-County convention for Student Council. Who knew Stuco president would be so much work?
- Switched over to soy milk.
- Added another 2000 songs to my ever-growing iTunes.
- Became aware of MBTI personality profiling and its uses in life.
- Further became aware that some people were not worth the effort, not because of personality clashes, but because of character clashes.
- Realised how similar my music tastes are to some of my friends and how totally different they were to others.
- Adopted a bamboo plant and a bonsai tree. They are now happily married and named Barb and Bill, respectively.
- Realised that I prefer small groups to large.
- Discovered that some of my friends were very mature, and I’ve stayed in touch with them much more easily than the others.
- Learned to appreciate early mornings, open windows, and light rain.
- Travelled to Washington D.C. for the first time with my choir.
- Threw up twice because of antibiotics that I’m allergic to.
- Learned the joys of European fashion and thrift stores.
- Was let down by my family on multiple occasions.
- Thanked God every time I saw my grandparents.
- Learned that some people can surprise you in amazing ways, and that you’ll love them even more for those unique qualities.
- Discovered the joys of watching Moulin Rouge over and over again.
- Changed the style that I dressed as I felt more mature.
- Practically changed my religion.
- Met a professional male model, who in turn became one of my best friends.
- And I realised that I will miss him dearly when he’s modelling next semester instead of studying psychology with me.
- My grandma was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, even after having never smoked in her life.
- She has also lived past any previous expectations and is enjoying each day.
- Truman State University became my new home in August.
- My mum bought a cat.
- My mum also nearly caused a divorce because of said cat.
- This cat became one of my new best-friends. Qat = love.
Here are some things I discovered throughout the year that I’d like to share with you:
- Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkein
- Ishmael, Daniel Quinn
- Skinny Bitch, Kim Barnoin and Tori Freedman
- French Women Don’t Get Fat, Mireille Guilliano
- Six Records of a Floating Life, Shen Fu
- All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
- Andrew Bird
- Owl City
- Emiliana Torrini
- The Strokes
- Vampire Weekend
- Love Actually
- Watching the Detectives
- Moulin Rouge
- Burn After Reading
- Kingdom of Heaven
This has been a year of discovery about the ins and outs of my personality and viewpoints and has been a launching point into maturity and being an adult. I’ve learned so much, but I’m not finished. So, I’ll see you next year with a whole new list of good times, bad times, and everything that I’ve learned along the way.
Happy 2009! And now, Happy 2010!
I’ll leave you with some highlights from this year.
Book Store Fun
Student Council Tri-County
Alice in Wonderland play
Washington D.C. Trip
Dressing up for the Harry Potter premier at midnight
Adventures on Main Street
Ramalama, Zombie Video
Classy Bitches Night
Snow Fort Extravaganza
Enjoy the new year,